As it says on my profile, I’ve been cooking for a long time–long enough to learn some important lessons. Today, I would like to share some of those with you.
1. When straining any liquid you wish to save through a collander, put a bowl under it.
2. Do not squeeze the sprayer on the kitchen sink if it is pointed directly at you. (I was reminded of the wisdom of this advice once again today.)
3. Any idiot can remember to use a potholder when removing a hot dish from the oven. The trick is to remember to do it when you turn around to pick up the dish again.
4. This one I learned at a very early age: The phrase “stir by hand” should not be taken too literally. In most cases, a spoon is also involved.
5. You cannot substitute fruit juice for fruit in a pie.